BOD5 is a widely adopted measurement of wastewater strength. But testing for it literally takes 5 days in a lab. Is there another way to measure BOD that will allow for rapid feedback to producers in need of this information?
Wastewater is the canary in the coal mine for most food and beverage producers. Its composition and strength can give insight into the effective use of ingredients and efficiency of creating the finished product. High wastewater strength is the reason why municipalities levy surcharges against producers. Understanding what activities directly or indirectly affect these numbers create opportunities when planning processes.
WHAT BLOOM DID
- Assessed the viability of this new technology approach to meet food and beverage processor requirements, assembled the project participants and oversaw the project execution.
- Tested the PeCOD® analyzer in three different food and beverage producer applications; a winery, a brewery, and a bakery.
- Validated the performance of this new technology approach through 3rd party lab analyses of BOD, COD and other parameters.
- Summarized key findings and outcomes.
HOW FOOD AND BEVERAGE PROCESSORS CAN BENEFIT
- Determine wastewater organic concentrations in “real-time” allowing them to identify “cause and effect” relationships.
- Provide critical feedback on day-to-day processes and procedures to improve operating performance and the bottom-line.
- Proactively mitigate and manage regulatory wastewater compliance costs and risks.